Monday, September 15, 2008

Orlean

I also found this essay to lack interest. Orlean describes her freindship with one of the boys she grew up with and his aspirations as a young boy. There was no major conflict or plot in the essay and at many times my mind began to wander. She gives you the impression that Colin is very bright and is somewhat of a trendsetter among his fellow classmates. Everything is perfect in hsi life. That's great and all but, when reading an essay you look for soemthing that you can't find in everyday life. There are thousands of ten year olds who live a life like Colin. I grew up with kids like Colin so it to me reading this essay presented no information that I hadn't already obtained.

1 comment:

Lauren K. Hansen said...

I think that part of the author's point WAS to connect us to all of those ten year-old boys. I suppose that when we read your essay at the end of the month, it will be succinct and gripping - judging from your opinions about what we have read so far. I would ask, though, although it is good to find fault in this writing, perhaps you could try to find the GOOD bits the authors offer up as well. (PS - way to respond to all the readings! even if you're not loving them - it shows good effort and I appreciate it.)